Signs of Acne/Skin Impurities
- Oily skin
No one likes acne, but do you know what’s behind this relatively common skin problem?
Hormones activate the sebum glands, which produce more oil and prevent the skin cells from shedding like they are supposed to. Pores become blocked, creating blackheads and whiteheads (also called comedones). Often, skin bacteria inflame the clogged pores, and this leads to pimples and papules.
Oily creams, stress, and trying to pop the pimples only make it worse. Acne most often strikes during puberty, slowing down in the early twenties. However, it may persist or flare up past your 30th birthday. This “adult acne” requires extra-mild skin care, as the skin tends to become dry and super sensitive.
The Do’s and Don’t’s
- In the morning and at night, wash your skin with pH 5.5 cleansers (e.g. Sebamed Clear Face Cleansing Foam) instead of soaps or neutral cleansers.
- Don’t try to squeeze out the blackheads, whiteheads, or pimples. This only makes them worse and may leave scars.
- Avoid aggressive cleansing; it irritates your skin and acne.
- If you have a lot of pimples, use an anti-bacterial cleansing product (e.g. Sebamed Clear Face Care Gel).
- Remove excess oil with a deep-cleansing tonic (e.g. Sebamed Clear Face Deep Cleansing Toner). Don’t use this if your skin is dry, though.
- Don’t use oily creams. An oil-free gel (e.g. Sebamed Clear Face Care Gel) is better because it makes your skin smooth without producing new pimples.
- Any acne treatment takes about 6-8 weeks to show results. Don’t change up your skincare products too quickly or it will irritate your skin, and you won’t get a chance to see if it is working.
- For immediate relief, cover blemishes with antibacterial/anti-pimple gels. Sebamed Clear Face Spot Gel, for example, will make your pimples disappear within 2-3 days. Just remember that these gels don’t help against blackheads or whiteheads.
- If you’re not seeing improvement within 2 months, consult a dermatologist.
- It’s always important to take care of your skin, but especially when using acne medication (pills, creams, lotions or gels). Using great skin care products (e.g. Sebamed Clear Face) supports the acne medication and helps to minimize any dryness or irritation.
Article is closed for comments.